Wednesday, January 22, 2020

It's been a long time since I've written.  There have been many changes in the real estate garden these last 4 years!!

First off the nightmare situation with the GIRLFRIEND I won, I got her out! BUT, it cost me $30,000 in total lawyer fees and lost rents.  It became even more volatile and insane.  the girl was a sociopath and started attacking all the other tenants, chaining their garbage cans to her car, setting up video cameras pointing at the other tenants windows and doors, blocking the driveway so no one can get out and go to work.  On and ON.  But rather than go into every detail and all the insanity I will tell you one thing that every landlord on earth needs to hear.  I won the decision for her to vacate the premises.  Yay, right?!?!  The court declared she had 30 days and had to be out by midnight on that 30th day!  It was declared by a judge AND written down by the clerk, midnight on the 30th day!!!

Well, that 30th day came, I drove to the property and stood outside, (I couldn't go on the property because she was suing me for harrassment, insanity) so I couldn't go on the property, if I did she could start another court case and this could go on for another 6 months in court!!!!!  So I stood outside on the sidewalk, (public property). 

I watch the clock, I was with some neighbors and tenants who are all by this time sick of the narcissistic, sociopath who attacked everyone on the block!  We watched the time click by.  9pm, 10pm, 11pm, 11:30pm, she is scrambling, she is yelling at her friends who are helping her, she is angry that a cat got out, her car is packed, but there are boxes and crap all over the front of her unit.  11:46pm, the court declared, 12:00 midnight on this day. she has half the house empty and 14 minutes to get it all out and get the fuck off my property!!!

11:55pm, I see she ain't going to make it.  I am so excited.  See part of the courts agreement is if SHE doesn't get out by midnight, BY MIDNIGHT, she has to pay ALL the back rent, AND all my court costs including the lawyer costs!!!  This is a $30,000 day, I am vindicated, I win, I showed her how powerful the law is and fucking with the laws is detrimental to those who feel they are above the laws!!!  Feels good to be the king!

She finally moves out at 4am.  that is clearly NOT midnight.  I go back to court to make this clear and have a judgement against her for the $30,000.  Smiles, vindication.  We sit in the courtroom, our case comes up, we explain the situation and the agreement the judge declared, midnight and all that, we show the court report.  the judge, a woman, looks at the papers, she reads it she looks at me and then at the ex-tenant who is looking with fear, the judge simple says,  "She is cleared due to substantial compliance, case dismissed" Gavel bangs.  I am stunned, my lawyer tries to speak, she barks at him, "CASE DISMISSED Counselor!"  WTF!!!!  is that her fucking daughter!!!  The court made a judgment, midnight on the 30th day, the court didn't adhere to its own judgment!!!!!!!!

So the lesson here is that no one like landlords, no one has sympathy for the rich, capitalistic money gouging, heartless pricks that abuse and scam the poor helpless class.  I am broke, just because I am a landlord doesn't mean I have fucking money!!!  I ended up losing my ass on this entire deal, 11 months of insanity with this case, her insane antics towards me and the other tenants, on and on, losing $30,000 which not only I should not have had to spend, I should have been getting $2,000/mo all along.  this event along with another event that started as soon as this woman moved out has made it very very clear, to get out of managing residential tenants anywhere near California. 

Shortly after this, another tenant decided she wanted me to fix up a place better so she could make more with her airBnB!  I said, no.  She went to the rent board, the Oakland planning dept, and her lawyer.  Tenants don't give a shit what horrors you just went through, dont care at all, just care about what you owe them.  So the city came down on me for more violations, the houses were built in 1884, 1892, and 1920.  there are going to be issues, they still had brick foundations!  there are going to be issues, but not uninhabitable issues!! they were all living there without any issues for years.  But now a pipe installed for their laundry bothers them!! etc, etc!  No appreciation, no thanks. Just gimme, gimme, or else.

so they all got together and this one tenant convinced the rest to stop paying rent to force me to make her unit pristine, so 5 units stopped paying me rent!!!!  She said we don't have to pay until you get these issues fixed.  So, I put the place up for sale, AS IS.   A buyer came in and bought the place.  He remodeled the place, he moved into the place.  He now has a different set of rent laws because he lives there.  He got rid of them.   BUT one of them came back and sued him for false eviction, AND of course, they dragged me into it a year AFTER I sold the fuckin place!!!  so I go to court again for treating this other female bad.  It was proven in all my correspondence with her, which I had to provide to my lawyers, that I was nothing but nice and respectful and even allowed rent to not be paid etc.  BUT that is not how the court system works.  The insurance was involved.  Insurance does not want to know the truth, they do not want to get to the truth and win for the truth, they want the course of action that is the CHEAPEST!! remember that folks! The Cheapest route!!

So we go to a  deposition, many actually.  And we go to arbitration.  The tenant was asking for $500,000 in personal damages!  I sat basically doing nothing for about 8 hrs.  Back and forth, back and forth, the arbitrator goes to our insurance lawyers, to the new owners insurance lawyers, and to her and her lawyers, back and forth.  Long story short they decided to settle out of court, (which is the purpose of arbitration) and they agreed to give her, .... ready?? give her $100,000!!!!!!  she was wrong, she was not hurt, she was evicted properly, BUT the lawyers know the time and money spent to go to trial and win, would cost more than $100,000, so this is CHEAPER.  And so that's what they did.  She was not abused and was not treated bad, and she got $100,000. 

So to bring things up to date, I sold several places now in Oakland and Berkeley and did a 1031 exchange, (look it up if you don't know it, greatest wealth building tool on the planet) into what they call, Triple Net properties.  Properties that you buy and rent to corporate companies such as, Wendy's. Subway, Shake Shack, Advanced Autoparts, burger king, little ceasers, Sherwin Williams Paints, Dollar General stores, Dollar Tree stores, etc.  How it works is you buy the place, you take over the corporate guaranteed lease, and you have "0" landlord responsibilities.  the Triple net means NNN, which translates to the big three being paid by the corporate tenant.  Insurance, property taxes, and maintenance. You literally do nothing, but collect cash.   It is the greatest investor set up.  Never doing residential again, I have one more to sell then I am done forever. 

ok, this was a quick spew.  I will talk more about the murder in my place and another death in the matter of 5 months!!! next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment